Tuesday, April 12, 2016

,

G - Geodes - Lets make Geodes!!

I have always thought geodes are so cool! The way they reflect the light, all the color variations, Heck, even the word, GEODE sounds cool!


So, lets get to it!


There are several ways to make geodes at home.  We went with the simplest - yeah - I'm a slacker!


You'll Need:

1 cup Epsom salt
1 cup HOT tap water
egg shells
food coloring
**you do NOT need the action figure that you see here...**

That's it! Oh, yeah and time! 

After a HUGE scrambled egg breakfast, Liam and I mixed up everything and pored it into the shells. We also tried using plastic Easter eggs, because, well they are all over my house!


FOUR DAYS LATER..

Now, they didn't come out as fabulous as I was expecting, based on the results I've seen on other sites.
Maybe I did something wrong  I probably did something wrong. 

Maybe using the watercolors instead of food coloring made a difference? I have NO clue! But they were pretty, and the boys liked them. So, my experiment was a success!



Next up, same basic recipe only in a shallow dish. This time instead of WAITING FOUR LONG DAYS, this recipe calls to put them in the refrigerator for several hours.

It was a TOTAL bust...again...Maybe I did something wrong  I probably did something wrong.  Absolutely NOTHING happened...Very disappointing...


I found these recipes on education.com. They have several more, which I may test out too..



0 comments:

Post a Comment