Monday, May 2, 2016

,

The Power of Music

There is something magical about music. Music has the ability to transport you back 30 years and put in a moment that you might have otherwise forgotten about.

I recently heard the song "I can't drive 55".  In an instant, I was eleven years old and in my mom's car as she was FLYING down the street. This as a 35 MPH road and my mom was BARRELING down  at 55MPH. It was as though she was in a moment of her own. She sang at the top of her voice, because of course the radio was turned ALL THE WAY UP. This moment was burned somewhere for some reason into my long term memory. Maybe I was frightened for my life. Maybe I was mortified, I was a preteen after all. Whatever the reason, I'm so glad it was! 

I have tons of memories from my childhood that revolve around music. 

I was lucky enough to have parents with great taste in music. A typical Saturday consisted of my mother cleaning and watering plants while dancing with the stereo blasting the Beatles or Pink Floyd. These were the days when the bigger the speaker the better the experience. The wood floors vibrated. It was good stuff!

Memories revolving around music seem to be so happy. 



I remember laying on the floor of my grandparents house with my grandfather. They had a floor model stereo. It had a small red power light indicator on the front at the floor. I remember my grandfather 
putting his finger over that light. Watching his finger glow, I was amazed.

My husband and I drove 12 hours to Florida for a visit. We were in our 20s with no kids and thought nothing of heading out of town for a short visit. The return drive home just a couple of days later was painful. We were both exhausted. We resorted to listening to Kool and the Gang to stay awake. To this day, every time I hear "Celebration" I smile thinking of that road trip.


Music is incredibly powerful. 


I need to play more music. Maybe this Mother's Day weekend, I'll have my mom dance around and clean my house. My kids' reactions will be priceless, as will the memory.

The prompt for today from The Daily Post on WordPress is “music.”
Music

1 comment:

  1. you are right
    music takes us back to old and good times! My favourite song is the same it was when i was a kid! :)
    xx
    lau
    www.malibluemymind.com

    ReplyDelete