Monday, April 4, 2016

, ,

Catapulting Craziness!!

Our third day on our mission through the alphabet. My boys are starting to get into this now. Today they asked what we would be making. That got me excited! 


I searched my most favorite place on the world wide web...Pinterest!!! There are a ton of different types of catapults. I knew there would be, I was just a bit overwhelmed! 



I narrowed the results down to three.  

  • Lincoln Log Catapult
  • Clothes Pin Catapult
  • Popsicle Stick Catapult


For our Lincoln Log catapult we copied the design from Brain power boy.
Discovery Toys - square icon
You'll need: 

  • 8 2 slotted logs
  • 5 2" rubber bands 
  • 1  3″ strong rubber band
  • plastic spoon-they recommend a bottle cap but I went with a spoon...


For our craft stick catapult we copied the design from do it and how.

You'll need:
  • 9-10 craft sticks
  • 4 rubberbands
  • bottlecap
  • hot glue/double sided tape/super glue
This one was a bust for us. The cap popped of the first time Liam loaded it! I used hot glue, maybe i should have used super glue.

The last one was a clothespin catapult. We used a design from housing a forest.

You'll need:
  • rubberbands
  • craft stick
  • clothes pins
  • plastic spoons
  • bottle caps 

Last and maybe the most important thing you need.....AMMO!!!


  • raisins
  • candy (the boys grabbed a bunch of tiny candy from their Easter baskets!)
  • Ping Pong balls
  • marshmallows


We talked about which one would go further and why. Then we tested our hypothesis. They are really smart and knew which one would be the best.

I set up a cup tower to give them a challenge. We also flipped the cups and designated points for each cup.

It was a lot of fun.

Have you made catapults with your kiddos?




0 comments:

Post a Comment